Monday, 27 September 2010

Evaluation

During the making of our first film, the main thing that I learned was the basis of Pinnacle Studios as I've only ever used Windows Movie Make; I found that Pinnacle allows you to be far more accurate when cutting a clip down and you have a wider choice of transitions and titles.


Another new thing that I learned was all the terminology for camera angles and movements such as the effects of adding a tilt - causes discomfort for the audience- and filming someone from a low angle, gives the impression of an inferior character.

Whilst we were filming we came across many problems such as people kept walking across our shot as we were filming in a school. Another problem we had was that we originally wanted to film part of our film in a loft, this caused a problem as filming outside of school hours would put us behind track and we also found it hard to arrange a time to film it in. In the end we changed the setting but not the plot as this was manageable with the time scale we had been given to produce this short film. We also had to change the fact that we was going to put lights inside the box and turn the lights off to give the impression of something amazing inside the box as we left it as a cliff hanger as to what is actually inside the box.

I really found the story board useful during this because it helped us to know exactly which scene came next and also during editing as it is easy to forget what happens next when you're concentrating on getting the match-on-action exactly right so that your film doesn't look jumpy and badly edited.

Another problem we came across was that at the beginning of our film, we filmed in front of the light rather than having the light behind us, so it blocked out Amara's face for a few seconds as she walked past the camera.
As you can see here, it is hard to see her as the light is behind her, and not behind the camera. We should have thought about this more carefully as this scene was more rushed than it should have been, in future I will remember to think about every detail more carefully.

2 comments:

  1. Well done, Franky. A clear analysis and evaluation of your product and you have itemised the new skills you have learned on this prelim task. I particularly like your use of the screen prints to illustrate your points. Remember: all your findings once you start your main production. Remember: you must research your target audience in detail before you start.
    Mrs H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Francesca, this is an interesting post. I'm glad you can see how important it is to storyboard carefully. Remember to keep using media terminology when you post.

    ReplyDelete